Our Families, Our Activities/Interests
Steve and Karen Lowe
50th Anniversary Family Picture
We will not be attending this year. We have three different trips planned with our grandchildren, and Steve and I are planning a trip to New England and Prince Edward Island in September. Plus Steve has a golf trip. That is enough travel for me.
Thanks for all your work planning this reunion. It is a big job. Keep in touch.....Karen
~~~~~
Renate Wentzek Behnke
Thank you so much for the invitation to our 55th (!!) class reunion. I cannot, of course, attend. I will be thinking of you and hope that you are all well.
My husband had heart surgery, without warning. He felt so good. He went to the doctor because he thought he was catching a cold. We were all packed up to go on vacation with our daughter and family. He didn't even come home from the doctor's office. He was immediately brought to the hospital and transferred to the University Hospital in Hamburg. What a shock for all of us. He is now doing very good and is starting his sport activities again, slowly but surely.
I hope to hear from you again and am so thankful and happy to hear from my old classmates.
Love and best wishes to all...........Renate
~~~~~
Ann Bredemeyer Doyle
Thank you very much for taking the time to organize Elmhurst Class of 1958 Class Reunion. Unfortunately for Morrie and I, we will be in upper Washington or Western Canada in September. We don't anticipate getting back to Florida until late September, early October. Our itinerary is not completely hammered out, but we will be out West all summer, into the early fall.
Hate to miss another reunion, but we do enjoy traveling, probably six months out of the year, which is good and bad. We enjoy seeing new things, but we miss out on the old.........Ann
~~~~~
Gary Crawford
Married to Ann, and they have one son, one daughter and four grand daughters. Gary in his retirement has enjoyed golf, fishing, a once-a-week breakfast group, a boy's meeting every Tuesday afternoon and his four grand daughters.
~~~~~
Bob Horton
Married to Jan Holloway. Interests include: cooking, baking, photography, gardening and antiques.
~~~~~
Dean & Sandy (McCoy) Anderson
Dean and Sandy have 4 sons, 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. Dean has been retired four times. Now has family business with two sons. Other son is Shell Oil Exec. Two grand sons are Marines. One grand daughter in pre-med--doctor missionary, and one grand daughter is a graduate nurse.
~~~~~
Derry Lesh
Derry is married to Lois, and they have 2 sons, 1 daughter and one grandchild. He enjoys traveling a lot, wintering in Florida, playing golf whenever he gets a chance and taking care of his yard.
~~~~~
Dave Weimer
Dave is married to Bev (Weikel), and they have 3 sons, 1 daughter and 7 grandchildren. Dave is fully retired. He sold his company, Phenix Tube Corp., in June 2010 and spends as much time as possible at their retreat in the Upper Peninsula enjoying peace, quiet, working on cabins, 4-wheeling, fishing, golfing, hunting, drinking beer, snowmobiling, traveling with Bev, tinkering with and restoring classic cars, restoring cabins up north, spending time with their kids and grand kids.
~~~~~
James Diss
USAF, 4 years; Allied Chemical, 11 years; Business owner of Ag. Fertilizer dealer, 15 years; Irrigation dealer, 10 years. Moved to Las Vegas in 1999, living there last 14 years. Handy Man now.
~~~~~
Tom Purkiser
Tom is married to Karen and they have 1 son, one daughter and 3 grandchildren. They enjoy visiting their daughter in California, fishing in Canada and Michigan and spending winters on Ft. Myers Beach.
~~~~~
Martha Zander Evans
Martha is married to Dick and they have 1 son and 5 grandchildren. She spends her time volunteering about 90% of the time at their church-school directing the spring musicals, Christmas programs, all the decorating and helping with all the church dinners, auctions and anything else she wants to. She has been involved for over 35 years and loves what she does. It is very rewarding. She also enjoys babysitting with her grandchild, who is 4 months old, and well as always having time for luncheons with friends.
~~~~~
Tom Strubbe
Tom has 1 son, 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren. He is happily divorced since 1994 and happily retired since 2000.
~~~~~
Penny Corbitt Henshaw
Penny has 1 son, 1 daughter and 4 grandchildren. She plays bridge as much as she can. Loves going to the Tincaps games! Loves having lunch with E.H.S. girls once a month.
~~~~~
Zandra France Orr
Worked in the "travel" industry for 25 years. Owned my own agency in Huston, TX. Sold it and moved to New Mexico to go into the Subway Sandwich business. My son and I are partners in 4 Subway's. Still working--What's Retirement??
~~~~~
Peggy Rollings Cloud
Peggy is married to Rex Cloud and has 1 son, 2 daughters and 7 grandchildren.
Ready to fast forward through 50+ years? Here goes--Graduated from Ball State--Married my college sweetheart, Rex, who had a career as an Air Force Fighter Pilot, so spent the next 30 years living in some exciting (and some not so exciting) locations in the US and in Europe--Was blessed with three great kids who have "produced" seven interesting grandkids! Decided I wasn't up to "riding herd" on public school kids so got a MS in Human Resource Management and worked in the field of adult education with displaced and laid off workers as well as career counseling college students. Currently living a delightfully decadent life in a golf course community, traveling a lot, volunteering in our wonderful Georgetown "home town" and sharing laughs and pains with our "oldie" friends! Our gypsy lifestyle was great fun (for the most part), but I regret it caused me to lose contact with the Class of 58 and am looking forward to catching up on everyone's news!
~~~~~
Gail Emrick Baker
Gail has 1 daughter and 3 grandchildren. Gail enjoys fishing and flowers.
~~~~~
Janice Arnos Koenig
Married to Jack for fifty years last October. We had two girls and two boys with 1 grand daughter, 1 grandson and 2 step-grand daughters.
Since retiring in 2008, we initially spent time helping care for my parents who went to heaven at ages 94 and 97. Since, we have done some traveling to visit family and our children, two of which live out-of-state in St. Louis, MO and Austin, TX. We volunteer our time in tutoring immigrant children, and I have worked with an African woman for the past couple of years "attempting" to help her learn to read English--I'm sure glad I saved my "Dick and Jane" readers. I also enjoy reading, bird photography, sewing for my little grand daughter, quilting and luncheons with friends from grade school, high school and church friends.
~~~~
John Weikel
John has traveled 48 states on a motorcycle in the last four years.
~~~~
John Leeper
Golf, Golf, Golf!
~~~~
Rosemarie Scribner
Gee, who can retire. Still working part time and spending time with family and friends.
~~~~
Andrea Smith Croft
Andrea had 2 sons (1 is deceased), 1 daughter, 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. She enjoys spending time with her son, Tod, and daughter, Dawn, and their families when possible. She will not be able to attend, but wishes that we all have a good reunion.
~~~~
Linda Garrett Bowman
Linda is married to Robert, and she has 2 daughters with 5 grandchildren and 3 step-daughters with 5 step-grandchildren. She loves winters in Florida, and her interests include reading, gardening, playing cards and daily walks.
~~~~
Mike Murphy
Mike is married to Susan, and they have 2 daughters and 5 grandchildren.
From the early sixties to 1994, I was involved in the information technology profession. I started at Midwestern Life, as a computer programmer, then after a year I joined Dana's Perfect Circle division in Hagerstown, IN. After two years at Dana, I took a programming position at Eli Lilly in Indianapolis. There I stayed for the next 29 years. A career in the Information Technology field from the sixties thru the nineties was phenomenal! I saw and worked with systems from early vacuum tube computers to the latest micro computer and networking environments. During this time Susan, (my wife and soul mate for 49 years), and I raised two daughters, which has resulted in five grandchildren.
After retiring in 1994, I became involved in water quality efforts (Upper White River Watershed Alliance, Cicero Storm Water Board, Morse Waterways Association), and also became involved in social outreach projects (Hamilton County Harvest Food Bank Board). In addition, we are actively involved in our local Methodist Church.
~~~~
Sharon Brandt Mettert
Sharon is married to Jack, and they have 1 son, 2 daughters, with 7 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.
Since my retirement, my husband's health has declined. He had a stroke in 2011, which put him in the nursing home. We will celebrate our 54th wedding anniversary on July 25th. I enjoy reading in my spare time.
~~~~
Sharon Caudill Johnson
Sharon has two daughters and six grandchildren. She enjoys reading, crocheting and playing and reading to her grandchildren.
~~~~
Diane Hevel McMahon
Married to Bob for 21 years, with 4 grand daughters and 1 grandson from their combined offspring. Also, still at home, 3 standard poodles, like children.
It is time again, and so hard to believe! I won't be coming this year for several reasons. Actually, I'm sitting here having a pitty party! I had malignant melanoma on my scalp. Bob told me I had a bug in my hair. Surgery after biopsy was clean, thank God!! Very scary!! We went on a beautiful trip to Hawaii, but I had to worry and wear a hat in any sun. The Summer of 2012, I had trouble with two lumbar herniated discs. Therapy and yoga has done wonders! This year, I am spending a lot of time at an Eye Surgical Center for retinal tears and will have cataract surgery in the next two months! I'm not liking this a lot. These are our Golden Years?
On the plus side, we now have 4 grand daughters and 1 grandson compliments of 3 or 5 offspring! All very cute, of course! Spending a lot of time with three standard poodles, beaching, growing citrus and enjoying a wonderful heated pool!! Best resort we have found is our own backyard!
Hope you have a wonderful time at the reunion! I remember all the good and crazy times! Oh, yes, remember to use sunscreen even on your part in your hair! Best of everything to all!!
~~~~~
Kay Owens Hayes
Kay is married to John, and they have 1 daughter and 2 grandchildren.
I enjoy painting and crafting and living close to our daughter and family. The grandchildren are now 21 and 18. Where have the years gone?
~~~~~
Barbara Steinbacher Fahling
Barbara is married to James and has 4 daughters, 9 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren.
I went to college after my children were in high school. Have a degree in Business Administration.
~~~~~
Mark Rousseau
Doing: I have retired as Professor of Sociology from the University of Nebraska--Omaha. However Creighton University in Omaha has hired me for a full-time position in Sociology this school year. I look forward to it--I enjoy a new experience. My wife and I enjoy international travel and try to get in one or two trips a year. This fall we are taking our daughter-in-law with us to France, the Bordeaux area. I belong to a golf club and enjoy playing--I have to remind myself to not let the numbers tell me if I'm having a good time. I look forward to the news from other EHS graduates of '58. I appreciate the efforts of the organizing committee for the reunion, that's great.
~~~~~
Larry N. Monn
IU. Then IU Med School. Internship in Michigan. General Surgery and Plastic Surgery Residencies at Northwestern. Started in practice 1974. Married to Barbara Sconce 1967, one son, Peter. Divorced in 1981. Single from 1981 to 1987. That is about as close to heaven as I will ever get. Married Debbie Lear in 1987. Three miscarriages. Accepted position of Chief Medical Officer Visionary Enterprises, Inc., in 2007. VEI manages 9 surgery centers in Indiana, 3 in Michigan, inpatient operating rooms at 3 hospitals. In 2010 I became Chief Operating Officer of VEI. I have no plans to retire. I still operate one day per week. Hope to die on the job.
~~~~~
Howard (used to be Skip) Moon
Now that I am no longer lean and lanky with a devilish smile (wait, I still have that I'm told, but several chins slow it some), I now introduce myself by saying, "Hi - I used to be Skip Moon."
My life has sped by (I have a hunch many would use the same verb) to the point that when people as they invariably do, ask "How are you?", I answer, saying, "I am very, very good ---- for a person of my age."
My departure from Fort Wayne after our sophomore year put me in Milwaukee at Shorewood High School and brought the Milwaukee Braves their first and only World Series in 1957. I've always maintained that I have always been good FOR sports if not necessarily good AT sports since I was near Cincinnati for the Big Red Machine years and Pittsburgh for the great Steeler and Pirate years (1967).
Shorewood, as well as providing a good education leading me off to U of Wisconsin and later Ohio State where I got my PhD in Educational Development (administration and curriculum), provided me with more reunions.
Although my work responsibilities included being an English teacher (Junior and Senior high), principal (school for juvenile delinquents - some reminded me of school colleagues who shall remain nameless - you may have hunches), county-wide (Columbus) junior high supervisor, curriculum director (Pittsburgh), superintendent (Columbiana, Ohio and Juneau, Wisconsin), Humanities Director (Kenosha, Wisconsin), my favorite title was "Coach", which students 9-12 years old called me going on and off the Little League fields for 20 or so years.
My sister, Kitty, lives in Madison where she has retired from a very successful career as a speech pathologist for the public schools in Madison. She is also healthy and active, having taken up golf more seriously the last few years, dividing her time between Madison and her river home in Montello, Wisconsin. We lost our beloved younger sister, Mary Ann, in 1998, at the age of 51.
I look forward to seeing my fellow 73 year olds this September for the, believe it or not, 55th reunion.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Diann Laden Anderson
I've enjoyed reading all the notes from my classmates. Who would have thought we would turn out so well? And from all the photos, we've aged well, too.
In 2004 my hubby, Carl, and I moved to Temple, TX from San Jose, CA. Carl passed away in 2011 and I continue to live in a too-big house 3 blocks from my daughter. My son lives in Maui. One granddaughter (21 years) is a senior at Tulsa University and my other granddaughter (18 years) is a freshman at a community college in town.
I retired from HP as global education specialist (no travel but all telecommuting and weird hours) in 2005. Since then I've been active in church and library volunteer activities. The 10 used book sales I've co-chaired the past five years has brought $40,000 in revenue each year - with books costing $1 - 2, you can imagine the volume.
Sorry I can't make it to the reunion this year. I will be cruising the Mediterranean with three girlfriends. I'll look forward to catching up with y'all on the web though. A big thank you to the "Locals" for all the work they do to make the reunion happen and to keep us connected!

No comments:
Post a Comment